Saturday, August 25, 2007

Fellowship

“God is faithful, by Him you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:9

“And indeed our fellowship is with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.” 1 John 1:3

I’ve heard it explained before that we are all created with a spiritual vacuum that only God can fill. I also know the Bible says that when we have a relationship with Christ, we are called God’s sons. God adopts us!

Today I read that a person who doesn’t have fellowship with God can never know true fellowship with another person. The word “fellowship” comes from the Greek “koinonos,” meaning a sharer, i.e. associate: companion, partaker, partner.

Without being a partner with God, through a relationship with Jesus, we feel, consciously or unconsciously, as if we are cut off from our roots of being. We are spiritual orphans. Because of this, we don’t have the ability to truly fellowship with other humans.

Wow! I remember that feeling. Are you feeling cut off from everyone? You might need a relationship with Jesus. You can start by reading Acts 16:31 in the Bible. Email me at fields.jody@gmail.com if you’d like to talk about this.

Those of you who have a relationship with Jesus may find yourself drifting away. I’ve also found that when I’m not as close to Him as I should be, my relationships here aren’t the same.
Read Psalm 133. If we want to live in unity, as it’s described here, we first have to be right with God. Psalm 51a says, “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation.” Then Nehemiah 8:10b says, “…for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Only by God’s strength can we live right here on earth. This includes having right relationships with other people. I you’re struggling in your daily life, and are not sure why, try spending a little more time with God. Get quiet. Read your Bible. See how He speaks to you. Take what you learn and do it. Watch what happens.

No comments: